Home > Forum > Forms > How to let a user edit a field in a step he has no rights for editing in?

How to let a user edit a field in a step he has no rights for editing in?

Hello,

I have a field for "internal comments" and I want three user groups to be able to edit this field on every step of the workflow. On steps where they have the general right to edit, this works, but not on other steps.

To clarify, on those other steps, they should NOT have rights to edit the step, ONLY to edit this one multiline text field. And any other group should NOT have the right to edit this field. Only for internal user groups.

I already tried in the editability tab to make this field editable, but this did not work. (attached image).

Does anyone have a solution?

Thanks in advance :)

MVP

Hi Fabian,

did you set the Edit permission in the field matrix in all steps? If the field is in a group or tab, they must be editable too.

From the info icon:
If the option to display the form field as ‘Read-only’ or ‘Read-only (editable by JavaScript)’ is selected in the Field Matrix, any defined rules will be ignored. The form field will behave according to the settings of the Field Matrix.

Best regards,
Daniel

MVP
In reply to: Kuchling, Fabian (DCCS)

Hi Daniel!

The Group and the Field are set to visible (not read-only) in all steps.
Maybe to clarify, the groups might not have a task for this instance right now, but they should still be able to edit this field.

Hi Fabian,

I may haven't read it correctly in the beginning, so the users don't have edit privileges at all? If they don't have these privileges I don't see an option. At least if you don't want to create some kind of "shadow" workflow, which I won't recommend.

Wouldn't it be possible, to grant these group "Access and edit" all workflows. They still won't be able to edit the fields depending on the field matrix.

Of course you could grant the users of the groups direct privileges on the workflow and remove them once the workflow is finished. At least if it is not a long running workflow there are probably no issues which changing team members. If you grant privileges on workflow level you can only grant them to users directly and not groups.

Best regards,
Daniel