Home > User Voice > Reducing human errors in Export/Import of Applications configuration

Reducing human errors in Export/Import of Applications configuration

MVP

Hi everyone,

have you ever imported a process and thought, damn I forgot to tick this or untick the other field?
In my case this has happened more than I want to admit. Most times everything works fine but know and then you get disturbed and you make a mistake in the selection.

Of course one could have a check list to verify everything, but even this will fail.
So I'm wondering whether one or both of these ideas could help with this human error problem.
1. Changing from checkbox to a drop down with "Undefined", "Yes","No" and every value is set to "undefined". This will of course be annoying to set since you can't simple click through with the default values but it will force you to think about your decision. Maybe a parameter could be added so that you can activate whether the drop down value will be "undefined" or the current default value. So that you can enforce this on production /dev.
2. After selecting the options in the export/import could we get a "download" configuration button, which saves the current settings. This file could then be loaded at another time and set the options as they have once been defined.

Best regards,
Daniel

MVP

Hi Daniel

You're addressing a problem that can be quite troublesome on a running system.
It appeared to me once, that after quite a lot of changes, that a text field showed a value i never entered. This was because a previously used field had been removed and later a new field had been mapped to the same column of the internal table.

To avoid this, i started to mark a field i don't use anymore as "Archival field". Not sure whether this is good practice or not.

However i would appreciate a built-in handling for field type changes. This could be as you suggested, some sort of a download after the import. We should then be able to define kind of a migration scenario.