Home > Forum > User Voice > Enhancement to 'Validate form' action

Enhancement to 'Validate form' action

MVP

Hi everyone,

I think it would be great to have an opportunity to add the option to execute a form rule in case of a 'Validate form' action fails.

In most of my cases there some special condition which relates to a field/tab. Having the option to execute a form rule would allow to:
- focus the field
- show the tab
- execute some JavaScript which would could display a subworkflow which needs to be closed.
- etc

When writing this it came to my mind, that it may be even possible today if each validate form action is an own automation which has an error handling. I haven't tested it yet but having an own automation for this could be a bit of an overhead. :)

Best regards,
Daniel

Hi Daniel,

you could already do that in version 2021. We had a field that was constantly left empty but in some cases wasn't mandatory, so we couldn't make it a mandatory field. Plus it is hidden on a tab, so people tended to miss it. I created a rule that defines if the field had to be filled, and if not the tab is selected, and the field marked red.
All I had to do was including the form field actions in the validation rule field.

BR
Chris

MVP
In reply to: Christian Amler

Hi Daniel,

you could already do that in version 2021. We had a field that was constantly left empty but in some cases wasn't mandatory, so we couldn't make it a mandatory field. Plus it is hidden on a tab, so people tended to miss it. I created a rule that defines if the field had to be filled, and if not the tab is selected, and the field marked red.
All I had to do was including the form field actions in the validation rule field.

BR
Chris

Hi Christian,

thanks, I didn't thought of this. :)

Using the option to execute business rules from form rules which is available since 2022 this could actually be a replacement for the validate form action.

The condition/validation rule could be defined in a business rule or form rule. This would return true or false. Than you could execute some rules and even display a multilingual message. Which would be possible adding another business rule which returns a Text.

The form /business rules could get a lot but that's an interesting idea. I have a process with 8 validation actions which would again turn into 8 form rules + 16 business rules for this alone.

Best regards,
Daniel