Home > User Voice > Mouse over of choose fields to display the id

Mouse over of choose fields to display the id IN BACKLOG

MVP

Hi everyone,

it would be great if there would be some option to show the id of a choose field in the browser.
Maybe in the history or history in admin mode?

Use case:
Two users with the same display name and there's currently no option to identify which user was selected without relying on the database.

Best regards,
Daniel

MVP
In reply to: Michal Rykiert

Hi Daniel, in which area of the system do you experience a need of the ID?

Hi Michał,

in the audit trail / version history and there at least in the admin mode.

Whenever we have a choose field / column, it would be great to have any kind of option to display the id.
At the moment we have only the display name but I can think of a few cases, where the display name is not enough to identify, the selected value / person.

In a larger company there will be persons with the same name and we can only identify the correct one by looking up the id in the database.
Another case is, when some data is selected from an external system. I have had quite a few cases, where the customer deleted a record in the external system and created a new one with the same display name. I was only able to identify the reason, when I looked up the id.

Best regards,
Daniel

MVP
In reply to: Daniel Krüger (Cosmo Consult)

Hi Michał,

in the audit trail / version history and there at least in the admin mode.

Whenever we have a choose field / column, it would be great to have any kind of option to display the id.
At the moment we have only the display name but I can think of a few cases, where the display name is not enough to identify, the selected value / person.

In a larger company there will be persons with the same name and we can only identify the correct one by looking up the id in the database.
Another case is, when some data is selected from an external system. I have had quite a few cases, where the customer deleted a record in the external system and created a new one with the same display name. I was only able to identify the reason, when I looked up the id.

Best regards,
Daniel

As it happens, I just stumbled about such a case and it made me realize one thing. If the history is displayed in admin mode, the hover should display the value as it is.

The line is choose column in the item list with a GUID as a the id and a number as the display name.

As you can see it's displaying the GUID in version two and the number in version three.
I have yet to understand why there's an addition # add the end in the database but it's neither displayed in the history nor in the form.
It would have been easier to spot this problem if we had some way to look at the actual data.

Best regards,
Daniel