Home > Forum > General > hotfolders add attachments based on CUSTOM barcode

hotfolders add attachments based on CUSTOM barcode

I have problem with configuration hotfolders. I would like add option to automaticly add attachments to existing workflow by barcode.
Only worked solution is worked for me is start new workflow but is not what i need.

I was based on https://howto.webcon.com/hotfolder-adding-scanned-files-to-process/

I don't now why onlu "standard barcodes" is enabled in designer studio if "attachments based on barcode" is selected.

how hotfolder mechanism is looking for bacode? where is he looking it? why I can't assign filed where barcode is?

In tutorial: https://community.webcon.com/community/public/posts/post/system-steps-how-do-they-work/82

i found fragment:

"b) Waiting for scan

The workflow service role – “Folder monitoring” will check files and process the barcode located in it. If the file is correctly recognized, then it is attached to the list of attachments of the workflow instance associated with the barcode. Also, if the instance is in the “Waiting for scan” step at the moment, then it is automatically moved to the next step through the “default path”.

More information -> https://howto.webcon.com/secretarys-office-a-sample-workflow/"

and the big unknown is " workflow instance associated with the barcode" . How and where it is associated

MVP

Hi Marcin,

there's a reason for me that I have kept silent. I haven't used this feature since my training three or four years ago. :)

In addition I'm not sure what you mean with custom barcode. Maybe the following can help you anyway.
The hotfolder mechanism can create new workflows from files or add the file as an attachment to an existing one. In the latter case the system has to know to which one. This is solved using a Barcode by which a workflow instance can be identified. An instance Id is unique within a database. So the Barcode has to contain a database too. I have in mind that this is the acronym. This would be similar to the Id which can attached to an outgoing mail.
You can add those kind of Barcode to a word document via the addin. There are probably other options to generate them, but I haven't used them. I wasn't in a situation where I had to handle these kind of use cases, like incoming invoices.

I hope you have gotten some idea on how to solve your case. If you can't add a Barcode with the necessary information, maybe you can extract some with OCR from it and copy the attachment over to the correct workflow. You could clean up those temporary workflows using a cyclical action.

Edit you have probably read:

https://community.webcon.com/posts/post/hotfolders/205

Best regards,

Daniel

In reply to: Daniel Krüger (Cosmo Consult)

Hi Marcin,

there's a reason for me that I have kept silent. I haven't used this feature since my training three or four years ago. :)

In addition I'm not sure what you mean with custom barcode. Maybe the following can help you anyway.
The hotfolder mechanism can create new workflows from files or add the file as an attachment to an existing one. In the latter case the system has to know to which one. This is solved using a Barcode by which a workflow instance can be identified. An instance Id is unique within a database. So the Barcode has to contain a database too. I have in mind that this is the acronym. This would be similar to the Id which can attached to an outgoing mail.
You can add those kind of Barcode to a word document via the addin. There are probably other options to generate them, but I haven't used them. I wasn't in a situation where I had to handle these kind of use cases, like incoming invoices.

I hope you have gotten some idea on how to solve your case. If you can't add a Barcode with the necessary information, maybe you can extract some with OCR from it and copy the attachment over to the correct workflow. You could clean up those temporary workflows using a cyclical action.

Edit you have probably read:

https://community.webcon.com/posts/post/hotfolders/205

Best regards,

Daniel

Thank you for the answer, but it did not help.

HotFolder has a serious limitation and I cannot understand why this is so. Firstly, in the hotfolder configuration in the adding attachment mode, I cannot set the search for a custom barcode, only the standard code setting is available. As a result, I cannot find the code on the document. . If the barcode would return a signature, I do not understand why it cannot be linked to the workflow by the signature. After all, the signature is also unique.

MVP
In reply to: Marcin

Thank you for the answer, but it did not help.

HotFolder has a serious limitation and I cannot understand why this is so. Firstly, in the hotfolder configuration in the adding attachment mode, I cannot set the search for a custom barcode, only the standard code setting is available. As a result, I cannot find the code on the document. . If the barcode would return a signature, I do not understand why it cannot be linked to the workflow by the signature. After all, the signature is also unique.

Hi Marcin,

as I mentioned, I don't use this functionality.

I had the time to look at the system this time and as far as I understand the field "Custom barcodes template" would be available once you create a SDK plugin. Unfortunately I haven't found any documentation and based on the example I'm assuming that you have to provide a regular expression. This won't help you with your signature.

So the only alternative would be to start a new workflow and attach it to the correct one afterwards. At least this look feasible to me, because you can assign the read barcode to a field. You could trigger identify the target workflow instance, trigger a path transition to copy the attachment.

Best regards,
Daniel