Home > Forum > Processes > How to start a new workflow instance from external through web service?

How to start a new workflow instance from external through web service?

Hello,

my task is: A new workflow instance is to be started through calling a web service from i.e. the ERP system. I cannot find any howto or documentation that explains how to proceed.

Is this possible in general and can anybody help with a hint what to do or where to find a documentation / howto?

Thank you in advance.

In reply to: Daniel Krüger (Cosmo Consult)

Hi Ingo,

more information about starting a workflow via REST can be found here:
https://developer.webcon.com/docs/bps-rest-api/

This page has also a link to this sample:
https://github.com/WEBCON-BPS/develop-docs/tree/ver/2021.1.1/HelloWorlds/WebCon.BPS.HelloWorld.RestAPI

Best regards,
Daniel

Thanks Daniel,

the articel and a lot of testing made it working finally.

Though, there is one issue I stumbled upon: In a sample and in the article it says something about "impersonation" but I was not able to get the setup options visible in the API details within adminpanel.

Is this a feature that has been replaced in WEBCON BPS 2022 because the article refers to BPS 2021?

Also, can you explain the difference between the API in the App context or within the user context?

Again thank you for your help.

MVP
In reply to: Ingo Doerrie

Thanks Daniel,

the articel and a lot of testing made it working finally.

Though, there is one issue I stumbled upon: In a sample and in the article it says something about "impersonation" but I was not able to get the setup options visible in the API details within adminpanel.

Is this a feature that has been replaced in WEBCON BPS 2022 because the article refers to BPS 2021?

Also, can you explain the difference between the API in the App context or within the user context?

Again thank you for your help.

Hi Ingo.

you are right these changed with version 2022. I know I've read somewhere about this change but I couldn't couldn't find it again.
The only thing I remember is that applications registered with prior 2022 will work as before but new ones have to be configured using the new options.
I have in mind that the user app context and ist context can be compared to Azure privileges which are granted by the admin (app context) or if they are delegated (user context). The latter one would be similar to an impersonation while the first one would be a "service account".

But I could be wrong. Maybe someone else can confirm this.

Best regards,
Daniel

In reply to: Daniel Krüger (Cosmo Consult)

Hi Ingo.

you are right these changed with version 2022. I know I've read somewhere about this change but I couldn't couldn't find it again.
The only thing I remember is that applications registered with prior 2022 will work as before but new ones have to be configured using the new options.
I have in mind that the user app context and ist context can be compared to Azure privileges which are granted by the admin (app context) or if they are delegated (user context). The latter one would be similar to an impersonation while the first one would be a "service account".

But I could be wrong. Maybe someone else can confirm this.

Best regards,
Daniel

Hi Daniel,

again thank you for your answer. What you say, makes sense and matches my tests in other systems of ours, where apps having existed prior the upgrade from 2021 to 2022 show a similar behaviour.

So, the user context allows to deliver a more differenciated set of rights. If so, there is the question on how do I differ the user during i.e. the push of new information from an erp to the WEBCON BPS context? Is this still the impersonation tag within the web service used to create the Bearer Token?

I'd assume this but do not think that the scope option will have a function in differentiating the users.

I would love to continue this discussion in order to understand this feature fully. So, your reply or that of others is highly appreciated.

Best, Ingo