Home > Forum > General > Possibility of creating variables which are usable in a workflow/step?

Possibility of creating variables which are usable in a workflow/step?

Hi folks,

as we want to move away from using technical fields as variable replacement because of the sometimes pretty strict field limit, I was looking into alternatives.

I know that with the new version, it is possible to create automation variables which are VERY useful, but is there a possibility to create a variable ( maybe through JS formrule or something along this line ) which is usable in a whole workflow or step.

Thanks in advance :)

MVP

Hi Fabian,

I agree with you that the variables are a really great addition. :)
Regarding your question, I'm in a similar situation that I need to send information to the server and would like to not store it in a field. Also you can delete the value before it is written to the database, I would prefer not to do so. So we are in a similar situation. :)

I've currently two ideas but both will require custom development.
In general we have to send some additional information to the server and the server needs to read this. Since it's an additional information, WEBCON BPS isn't aware of this and we need to intercept the execute request.
If this is possible, we can add our data either as a request parameter or a cookie.
The server could probably read the request parameter using this variable. It's not really supported according to the documentation but it works, at the moment quite fine.
-- {R:name}
-- The value of a parameter entered in the Request. Request values are not supported in actions(Hyperlink action being an exception) and they are not supported in the generation of documents and printouts (HTML, PDF, docx).

Reading the cookies though would require a custom SDK action.

Those are my ideas and I will see whether I can come up with a working solution or another alternative.

If someone else has a better idea, feel free to join the conversation. :)

Best regards,
Daniel