Home > Forum > Plugins > Signing PDF Attachments

Signing PDF Attachments

Hi.

I was very optimistic that I could sign PDF files with locally installed certificates (Adobe reader functionality) using the "IT hit Edit Doc Opener" Addin as mentioned in the Webcon Knowledge Base (https://community.webcon.com/posts/post/new-way-to-use-a-digital-signature/253).

So far everything works as described until I want to save the signed attachment. Doing so I get an error message "document can't be saved. Generic Failure" ("Das Dokument kann nicht gespeichert werden. Allgemeiner Fehler").

What am I doing wrong?
Has it to do with using Edge instead of Chrome?
Has it to do with security settings? (I learned that signing with a certificate is not modifying the document but overwriting it)

It would be a big step if I could sign pdf documents within a workflow instance.

Kind reagrds,
KLaus

Hello,
I suppose the problem is related to the Acrobat Reader. Please make sure you have the AR updated.
Please also check the article from the Adobe Support Community:
https://community.adobe.com/t5/acrobat-reader-discussions/error-quot-general-failure-quot/td-p/10020309

It seems that disabling 'Enable Protected mode at startup' may fix that issue.
Let us know if it worked.

In reply to: Łukasz Chechelski

Hello,
I suppose the problem is related to the Acrobat Reader. Please make sure you have the AR updated.
Please also check the article from the Adobe Support Community:
https://community.adobe.com/t5/acrobat-reader-discussions/error-quot-general-failure-quot/td-p/10020309

It seems that disabling 'Enable Protected mode at startup' may fix that issue.
Let us know if it worked.

Hi Lukasz,

we have the actual version of AR installed, I tried your hint with the Protected mode and looked at the link of Adobe.

Nothing has helped, I still have the same issue.

My (I'm not an IT expert) feeling is that is has something to do with the permissions. If I use "Fill in and sign" (Ausfüllen und Unterschreiben) (I don't know if this is the correct English headline, I only have a German AR available), then it works.

When I use "Tools-> Certificates -> Digital Signature" (Werkzeuge -> Zertifikate -> Digital unterschreiben) it won't let me save the document and throws the "Generic Failure".

Who is controlling the permissions on the WebDav folder / the pdf-file? Is it Webcon? Is it the SQL server? Is it the IIS? Is it any other server? Would it help to grant "create new document" permissions?

Can anybody repeat / confirm this behavior/error at least? If not, what is different?

Thanks
Klaus

In reply to: Klaus Seidler

Hi Lukasz,

we have the actual version of AR installed, I tried your hint with the Protected mode and looked at the link of Adobe.

Nothing has helped, I still have the same issue.

My (I'm not an IT expert) feeling is that is has something to do with the permissions. If I use "Fill in and sign" (Ausfüllen und Unterschreiben) (I don't know if this is the correct English headline, I only have a German AR available), then it works.

When I use "Tools-> Certificates -> Digital Signature" (Werkzeuge -> Zertifikate -> Digital unterschreiben) it won't let me save the document and throws the "Generic Failure".

Who is controlling the permissions on the WebDav folder / the pdf-file? Is it Webcon? Is it the SQL server? Is it the IIS? Is it any other server? Would it help to grant "create new document" permissions?

Can anybody repeat / confirm this behavior/error at least? If not, what is different?

Thanks
Klaus

Hi Lukasz.

an answer here would be highly apreciated.

Kind regards
Klaus

In reply to: Wojtek

Hi

can anyone please confirm that editing, signing and saving pdf files directly from webcon works for you?
Thanks a lot.

Wojtek

Hi Wojtek,

yes, I can confirm that (miraculously) it works now even with Version 2021.

Best regards
Klaus