Home > Forum > Actions > Sending notifications when step has paths that are "available for mailapproval"

Sending notifications when step has paths that are "available for mailapproval"

Hi, I have an issue with sending mails in steps that are defined as 'available for Mailapproval'.

In the current case I only want to send out a notification email for information, the receipient doesnt have a task in the step.

So i defined a template, put fields and grids in, and lokked at the preview.

Whatever i try, if I test with an instance that is currently in a step that is avi for MailApproval, Webcon adds the available path-buttons to the end of the email. This will confuse people that are only meant to be notified a lot.

We are using 2021.1.4.36 - if it has been fixed I have to live with it until we finally can update to 2022.

But if anyone knows something i can do to keep this from happening please let me know!

Thanks!

MVP

Hi Christian,

we have never used the mail approval before so I was curious and played a bit with it.

We are using version 2022.1.1.2.31 at the moment and it behaves the same. The approval is added at the bottom/before the end of the body of the mail. But we can make use of it.

You can see in the screenshot, that the approval is displayed in the left part and is hidden in the right part. Yes it's still there but it should be fine though.

I've achieved this by adding a know element which I can use to apply CSS rules to the mail approval elements.
Therefor I added
'<div id="mailapproval"></div>' at the end/before the body and used:

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/CSS/Adjacent_sibling_combinator

<style>
#mailapproval{display:none;}
#mailapproval+ table{display:none}
#mailapproval+ table+table{display:none}
#mailapproval+ table+table+br+br+table{display:none}
</style>

This way each element is selected and hidden.
It may differ a bit in your version, so you should take a look at the HTML of your received mail. It's easiest to do this using OWA. :)

Btw. Thanks for sharing your screenshots. I never though of using SUBELEMHEADERTEMPLATE/SQLGRIDHEADERTEMPLATE in a mail. :)

Best regards,
Daniel

In reply to: Daniel Krüger (Cosmo Consult)

Hi Christian,

we have never used the mail approval before so I was curious and played a bit with it.

We are using version 2022.1.1.2.31 at the moment and it behaves the same. The approval is added at the bottom/before the end of the body of the mail. But we can make use of it.

You can see in the screenshot, that the approval is displayed in the left part and is hidden in the right part. Yes it's still there but it should be fine though.

I've achieved this by adding a know element which I can use to apply CSS rules to the mail approval elements.
Therefor I added
'<div id="mailapproval"></div>' at the end/before the body and used:

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/CSS/Adjacent_sibling_combinator

<style>
#mailapproval{display:none;}
#mailapproval+ table{display:none}
#mailapproval+ table+table{display:none}
#mailapproval+ table+table+br+br+table{display:none}
</style>

This way each element is selected and hidden.
It may differ a bit in your version, so you should take a look at the HTML of your received mail. It's easiest to do this using OWA. :)

Btw. Thanks for sharing your screenshots. I never though of using SUBELEMHEADERTEMPLATE/SQLGRIDHEADERTEMPLATE in a mail. :)

Best regards,
Daniel

Hi Daniel!

Thank you very much for the help! I hope I will find the time to try before my vacation 🙂

I think Mailapproval is a pretty good option, the external people we send these to like it pretty much. Its easier than logging in somewhere, find the right workflow, approve it, log out again.
They just receive a mail with the buttons, the buttons generate a reply, send back, done.

There are a few things one need to take care about, e.g. that no one alters the instance while it is waiting for mailapproval, attached documents should not be too big, and so on.
The only thing that might be missing is the option to alter metadata, that is simply not possible (maybe through paths, but that is very static).

The grids and item lists can sometimes be very helpful! I've also used it for our own weekly reminder workflows for example, that notifies people about their open tasks.

Thanks again for your solution, I'll let you know if I got it to work :D