Home > Forum > Rules, JS, SQL > Webconapps - Connecting to an Azure SQL

Webconapps - Connecting to an Azure SQL

MVP

Hello,

I have the following scenario:
- Webconapps
- Data Sources > Connections > MSSQL Database > Azure_SQL: I have server name, database, user and password filled. When I click Test, I get "OK" so Webcon can connect to the database.

However, when I try to create a MSSQL database Data Source and chose the above connection, I get the following error:
"Unknown error: The SELECT permission was denied on the object 'table_name', database 'database_name', schema 'dbo'..."

Using SSMS the server where the SQL is installed, I can SELECT the data from the tables.

What could be wrong?

Thank you in advance for your help,
Martin

MVP
In reply to: Maksymilian Stachowiak

First thing I'd check if you are using for sure same user on SSMS and in the data source.

Running SSMS on the server gives me a hint, that there might be an integrated authentication, when BPS gets passwords to another login/user.

The user and password are fine.

It has to do something with permissions, I just can’t figure out what.

I just noticed the same issue if using dbeaver. So I’m guessing SSMS does something different when trying to run a select query.

Any other hints?

In reply to: Martin Meze (Freelancer)

The user and password are fine.

It has to do something with permissions, I just can’t figure out what.

I just noticed the same issue if using dbeaver. So I’m guessing SSMS does something different when trying to run a select query.

Any other hints?

Martin,
could it be a firewall? Is it Azure SQL Managed Instance or just Azure SQL database? Notice that these are different products and have different specifications.
Take a look here:
https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/azure-sql/database/security-overview?view=azuresql

MVP
In reply to: Adam Hatak

Martin,
could it be a firewall? Is it Azure SQL Managed Instance or just Azure SQL database? Notice that these are different products and have different specifications.
Take a look here:
https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/azure-sql/database/security-overview?view=azuresql

Not sure if firewall could be the root cause.

Let me summarize once again + add some additional info:
- It's Microsoft SQL Azure (RTM) - 12.0.2000.8
- Using SQL authentication
- Webcon Data sources > Connections > MSSQL database > inserted all connection parameters, click Test and get the "Connection succeeded" result.
- SELECT statement works if using SSMS
- SELECT statement doesn't work if using dbeaver (from the same machine as previous bullet point)
- SELECT statement doesn't work if trying from Webcon Data Source window (using the above mentioned connection).

Any ideas?