Home > Forum > General > SOLR Configurations

SOLR Configurations

Is there a reference guide to scaling up solr configs beyond the setup done by the installer.
I have narrowed down my performance issues to the solr timeout on memory from the logs

WEBCON

You can change java heap memory allocation in configuration file - "X:\Program Files\WEBCON\WEBCON BPS Search Server\WebCon.BPSSearchService.exe.config"

It's important that Solr uses OS Disk Cache for index files, so you shouldn't configure too high heap size, without free memory for caching. In my opinion, if you have no OutOfMemory exceptions in Solr log files (X:\Program Files\WEBCON\WEBCON BPS Search Server\Search Cluster\Solr\server\logs\solr.log*), you no need to change heap size.

Some useful information you can find here https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/solr/solrperformanceproblems#SolrPerformanceProblems-RAM

Where timeouts are logging? In AdminWFEventLogs table on Solr indexing? What BPS version you have got?

You can find information about time taken on Solr for request processing in logs file e.g. (...\Search Cluster\Solr\server\logs\solr.log). You have to find lines contains 'path=/update' or 'path=/select'.
For example:
[BPS_Activities] webapp=/solr path=/update params={version=2.2}{add=[96e93aff-e2f8-4c96-bffc-5b368f50a13b (1754803710955880448)]} 0 5

Last value "5" is time in miliseconds which Solr need to add new activity record.

[BPS_Activities] webapp=/solr path=/select params={q=*(...)REDACTED(...)&wt=xml} hits=0 status=0 QTime=1

QTime = 1 mean that it take 1 ms to process 'select' request.

Have you got any 'ERROR' in Solr log files?

In reply to: Wojciech Mleczko

You can change java heap memory allocation in configuration file - "X:\Program Files\WEBCON\WEBCON BPS Search Server\WebCon.BPSSearchService.exe.config"

It's important that Solr uses OS Disk Cache for index files, so you shouldn't configure too high heap size, without free memory for caching. In my opinion, if you have no OutOfMemory exceptions in Solr log files (X:\Program Files\WEBCON\WEBCON BPS Search Server\Search Cluster\Solr\server\logs\solr.log*), you no need to change heap size.

Some useful information you can find here https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/solr/solrperformanceproblems#SolrPerformanceProblems-RAM

Where timeouts are logging? In AdminWFEventLogs table on Solr indexing? What BPS version you have got?

You can find information about time taken on Solr for request processing in logs file e.g. (...\Search Cluster\Solr\server\logs\solr.log). You have to find lines contains 'path=/update' or 'path=/select'.
For example:
[BPS_Activities] webapp=/solr path=/update params={version=2.2}{add=[96e93aff-e2f8-4c96-bffc-5b368f50a13b (1754803710955880448)]} 0 5

Last value "5" is time in miliseconds which Solr need to add new activity record.

[BPS_Activities] webapp=/solr path=/select params={q=*(...)REDACTED(...)&wt=xml} hits=0 status=0 QTime=1

QTime = 1 mean that it take 1 ms to process 'select' request.

Have you got any 'ERROR' in Solr log files?

The timeouts are logging in the AdminWFEventLogs table, I am running Version: 2022.1.4.111

This value goes as high as
webapp=/solr path=/update params={version=2.2}{add=[16bfce0e-5072-431a-ad33-36b33ce2fbd8 (1755363990194618372)]} 0 519
webapp=/solr path=/select params={.....l} hits=108 status=0 QTime=1563

I made a change to the solr config,
C:\Program Files\WEBCON\WEBCON BPS Search Server\ WebCon.BPSSearchService.exe.config
<setting name="Memory" serializeAs="String">
<value>8g</value>
</setting>

Changed the value on the memory from 2g to 8g
And this seems to have resolved the timeouts