Home > Forum > Processes > Workflow element not opening

Workflow element not opening

Hi,

We have a single workflow element that is not opening. On clicking on the workflow element, the browser just starts loading indefinitely. This issue appears only on this single element and nowhere else. What can I check, how can I start researching this issue?

We are using classic forms on SharePoint.

Thank you

WEBCON

Hi Mark,

I recommend opening the console in the browser before trying to access the element. It's possible that some valuable information will be displayed, such as the name (DB_NAME) of the attribute that's causing the error, or it's possible that there's some problem with user authentication or some function. It is probable that the information in the console will allow you to locate the error more easily.

Regards

In reply to: Przemysław Sierant

Hi Mark,

I recommend opening the console in the browser before trying to access the element. It's possible that some valuable information will be displayed, such as the name (DB_NAME) of the attribute that's causing the error, or it's possible that there's some problem with user authentication or some function. It is probable that the information in the console will allow you to locate the error more easily.

Regards

Hi,

Thanks for your recommendation. I already tried looking throigh the console, but it doesn't display any information, the request just times out.
There shouldn't be any problems with permission, because I am using a business administrator account. Also, this issue appears to all users. And like I said, it is just one element. All other elements, even later ones, work just fine.
I was also browsing through the database and I don't see anything special.

Any other suggestions?

In reply to: Martin Meze (Freelancer)

If I remember correctly the same issue happened to me when I had an error in SQL field (or maybe some dropdown?). I would start to look for errors there.

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. So you mean just browsing field by field in the designer studio?
It's really strange because the issue appears on a single element. Elements created later work just fine, but this one keeps timing out.
I was looking through the SQL database and the content of the element looks fine.

Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks

MVP
In reply to: Mark

Also, if it is of any help, ULS logs show the following:

Application error when access /_layouts/15/webcon/WFDynamic.aspx, Error=Request timed out.

Hi Mark,

I don’t have any experience with the SharePoint version in a productive environment and I’m glad about it. So some of the next ideas may not be feasible.

Do you have the opportunity to create a diagnostic log like in BPS Portal? Maybe you could start it, navigate to the element and change the url afterwards.

Can you show an element in admin view and navigate then to the “corrupt” element?

Can you navigate to the history directly via url and checks differences in values/attachments with other elements?

During some less busy ours you could activate the debug log in the system settings and navigate to a working element and the other one.

You could also use the sql profiler to see if there’s a long running query.

As Martin mentioned, you could try to hide all fields in the field matrix for this step and activate likely culprits to see whether they are the problem. This is more likely for data row/table and picker fields than something else. In addition you could deactivate any on load form rules.

Best regards,
Daniel