Home > Forum > Installation > Duplicating production setup 1:1 to a new dev server

Duplicating production setup 1:1 to a new dev server

In our attempt to move to the cloud I need to update our webcon database to the latest version that supports GCC. I do not want to install this on prod and we don't have a proper dev env setup for this (Yet).

To get the db upgraded, I am trying to migrate our existing prod WebCon instance, data and all to a new dev host (basically making a 1:1 prod:dev environment).

Is there a "supported" method for doing this?

I've tried a clean install, restoring the config and content databases and it failed. (I think because I didn't use the same account names/passwords and a different content database name).

I'm curious if someone has figured out the basic outline of the process.

MVP

Hi Bo,

these are the chapters of our documentation to restore a production database as a formal test environment. I have to ask permission to provide any more information as I have done this during my "working time", whatever the actual term is for this time, when I'm doing something for which I get payed. :)

In our situation both environment have a working WEBCON BPS environment with the same version. But it should also work when the target environment has a newer version when you run the installer in between. I haven't done this in a long time but it worked in the past. Both environments are on stand alone Azure servers, so they have different local user accounts.

3.1 Recreating formal test environment 6
3.1.1 Create a backup of the databases 6
3.1.2 Restore the backup of the database 6
3.1.3 Change database names inside databases 7
3.1.4 Grant access to users 8
3.1.5 Add content database entry 9
3.1.6 Attach the database to the WEBCON environment 9
3.1.7 Stop service and Change Database type 10
3.1.8 Add new admin user 10
3.1.9 Restart Services and IIS 10
3.1.10 Change of global constants 10
3.1.11 Reindex all databases 10