Home > Forum > General > Ideas to start an Item List with a Dictionary

Ideas to start an Item List with a Dictionary

Hi all,

I have a process for the RH where for the different subsidiaries there are different documents and salary benefits for the new admission.

The point is when the subsidiary is selected, the form should be updated with the list of documents needed and send them in a notification for the new candidate.

There are some issues with this, I'm not able to initialize the item list with the dictionary details (only DB or Sharepoint is available), I don't want to do this by SQL query because in the future I will need to do maintenance work if something changes.

And the user doesn't want to click Add for all the options needed.

I don't have many ideas on how to this.

Hope anyone has a nice idea!

MVP

Hi Sophia,

do you want to populate the item list via the Initialization tab in the advanced configuration or using an "Item list update" action?

Regardless, I don't think you will get around using SQL query.

The item list is updated by mapping the source values to the correct column name of the item list.
'Some_Value' as DET_Att1
SomeColumn as Det_Att2

So if fields or types of the source dictionary changes you have to do the mapping some way which will be changing the SQL query.

The only option I see is to create an internal view referencing the dictionary. In this internal view you could create calculated fields with the target column name.

I haven't tested this but I personally wouldn't do this because:
Copy & paste
Tip: Whenever possible, use the Objects tab to get the wanted information instead of writing the name manually. This will save you a lot of headaches if you change the type of a field later on. In addition, the usages tab will show you where it is used.
https://daniels-notes.de/posts/2021/series-expert-guide-part-3#using-variables-in-expressions

Regarding the user doesn't want to click add:
Can you split the step into two steps, with a wizard mode? Than you could populate the item list during the path transition. That's the way I use.

Best regards,
Daniel

In reply to: Daniel Krüger (Cosmo Consult)

Hi Sophia,

do you want to populate the item list via the Initialization tab in the advanced configuration or using an "Item list update" action?

Regardless, I don't think you will get around using SQL query.

The item list is updated by mapping the source values to the correct column name of the item list.
'Some_Value' as DET_Att1
SomeColumn as Det_Att2

So if fields or types of the source dictionary changes you have to do the mapping some way which will be changing the SQL query.

The only option I see is to create an internal view referencing the dictionary. In this internal view you could create calculated fields with the target column name.

I haven't tested this but I personally wouldn't do this because:
Copy & paste
Tip: Whenever possible, use the Objects tab to get the wanted information instead of writing the name manually. This will save you a lot of headaches if you change the type of a field later on. In addition, the usages tab will show you where it is used.
https://daniels-notes.de/posts/2021/series-expert-guide-part-3#using-variables-in-expressions

Regarding the user doesn't want to click add:
Can you split the step into two steps, with a wizard mode? Than you could populate the item list during the path transition. That's the way I use.

Best regards,
Daniel

Hi Daniel,

Thank you for your answer.

I actually tried both option: initialization and update item list but none is actually working.

I was thinking about the option of the Internal View, but adding not sure how to relate the calculated column with the element itself based in one field (the one filtering which line will be showing up in the item list).

Even doing in path transition, he is complaining of not existing fields.
I will probably try that will be manual.

Thank you