Home > Forum > General > Implementing Desktop Notifications Like Mobile

Implementing Desktop Notifications Like Mobile

MVP

Hi,
Can you help me with some ideas?

My client wishes to have a functionality similar to the mobile notification app for the desktop version as well. Email notifications are not helpful because he receives a lot of emails daily, and he would prefer to be notified in a different way than through email notifications.

Is there a way I can implement desktop notifications similar to those from the mobile app?

Thank you in advance for your help!

MVP

Hi Raluca,

I can image two options.

a) Service workers inside the browser.
I've started a PoC with a customer service worker. I was able to register and run it. So it should be possible to periodically get the tasks and show a notification.
https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-edge/progressive-web-apps-chromium/how-to/background-syncs#use-the-periodic-background-sync-api-to-regularly-get-fresh-content

b) Desktop application
This may be the more feasible one. Create a custom desktop application which uses an Application in "User Context" mode. This could then pull the tasks of the current user periodically. You will need to implement the user authentication stuff but I think it will be easier and more robust then the other.

c) Teams Messages
Will be a pain to implement, but in theory you could add some API calls to send the users a chat message whenever there's a new task. It would be a pain as you would need to touch each workflow and step. .
Both have the problem, that it's periodically and not event driven.

Best regards,
Daniel

Hi Raluca,

I can't understand your customer. Why should he pay more attention to a notification than an information email? He could add a separate folder to his Outlook mailbox that is just for email notifications.
With a rule in Outlook, he can simply redirect all emails automatically to this folder and thus have his "important" information emails separated from the other emails.

When someone is given a task to work on, they simply have to work on the task. The medium through which he receives the information does not matter, the task must still be completed. At some point the customer will says that he is getting so many notifications that he no longer pays any attention to them... and then?
In my opinion the problem here is poor self-organization, which you should now solve with a WEBCON custoimizing.

This is a difficult task for you.
Maybe you can convince the customer of the Outlook solution. WEBCON is a great program, but it can't change a person's personal attitude.

Good luck that you find a satisfying solution that isn't too complicated :)