Home > Forum > Database > Adding MSSQL Database datasource

Adding MSSQL Database datasource

Hi I'm having trouble on adding a MSSQL Database data source on Data Sources -> Connections -> MSSQL database as I keep getting the error message below:
"Unknown error: A network-related or instance-specific error occured while establishing connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections."

I have attached the image of information for my msssql server. On the Webcon designer studio, I'm inputting the informations like this:
Conection type: Windows Authentication User Impersonation
Server: (localdb)\localDB1
Database: demoDB
User: DESKTOP-75etc.

Can someone help me how to properly add a mssql datasource or if im doing something incorrectly. Thanks in Advance.

MVP

Hi,

this error typically indicates, that the WEBCON BPS server can not connect to the SQL server (instance).
This may be due to different reasons.
- Wrong SQL server instance
- Firewall prevents the communication
- SQL Server Configuration manager: The protocol is disabled used for connecting is disabled.

I'm not sure what "(localdb)" actually is, but it could be an SQL server which is hosted by an application, which is not configured to allow external connections.

First of all I would try to connect to the SQL server from WEBCON BPS server using PowerShell. Once this is running you can copy the parameters to Designer Studio and it should work.

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/powershell/module/sqlserver/invoke-sqlcmd?view=sqlserver-ps

Best regards,
Daniel