Home > Forum > General > Anyone with experience using the barcode scanner

Anyone with experience using the barcode scanner

MVP

Hi Martin,
which type of barcodes are you speaking about? If it's just 1d barcode (code 128) than the scanner will just "type" the scanned numbers in the current active field. Depending on the configuration other characters can be added to the beginning/ending of the value. For example an "Enter" character.

But this depends on the scanner model itself.

Hm, you could probably even start a workflow using a QR code if it contains an URL and you add the path parameter.

Best regards,
Daniel

MVP
In reply to: Daniel Krüger (Cosmo Consult)

Hi Martin,
which type of barcodes are you speaking about? If it's just 1d barcode (code 128) than the scanner will just "type" the scanned numbers in the current active field. Depending on the configuration other characters can be added to the beginning/ending of the value. For example an "Enter" character.

But this depends on the scanner model itself.

Hm, you could probably even start a workflow using a QR code if it contains an URL and you add the path parameter.

Best regards,
Daniel

Hi Daniel,

Thank you for your answer. As far as I know it's a 2D barcode.

I have a situation where fire extinguishers get collected, brought into the fire station and before servicing them they need to be entered into the system. I was thinking of connecting the barcode scanner to Webcon so the number from the extinguisher wouldn't have to be typed manually. I guess I need to explore how the handheld scanners work before proceeding. I never worked with this device that's why I was asking.

Subquestion: Would the phone camera be able to scan the barcode directly from the application developed in Webcon and write it's value in a field?

MVP
In reply to: Martin Meze (Freelancer)

Hi Daniel,

Thank you for your answer. As far as I know it's a 2D barcode.

I have a situation where fire extinguishers get collected, brought into the fire station and before servicing them they need to be entered into the system. I was thinking of connecting the barcode scanner to Webcon so the number from the extinguisher wouldn't have to be typed manually. I guess I need to explore how the handheld scanners work before proceeding. I never worked with this device that's why I was asking.

Subquestion: Would the phone camera be able to scan the barcode directly from the application developed in Webcon and write it's value in a field?

Hi Martin,

just an idea:
Instead of directly populating a Webcon workflow with the barcodes numbers, the employee could scan the barcode to an excel file which gets uploaded /imported in an item list.

I've created an excel file with a macro for a small library which is used during inventory. After scanning the barcode it's checked whether it's in an expected numbering range and writes it to another sheet. If it does not match a sound is played.

If you are interested, I can send it to you and you could modify the source code.

Best regards,
Daniel