Home > Forum > Installation > Webcon BPS with different URLs

Webcon BPS with different URLs

Hi community!

Maybe this is a silly question, but I'm asking it anyway ;-)

In Webcon BPS management tools one has to provide a portal URL, so this looks like a fixed Url for the whole portal.

Is it possible to run the same Webcon BPS Portal with different URLs pointing to different applications on the same server for different use cases?

I mean this should be only a question of DNS resolving to the same IP right?

For example we have 2 different Webcon applications on the same server:

1. app1.com (e.g. points to url/db/1/app/7)
2. otherapp.com (e.g. points to url/db/1/app/12)

app1.com and otherapp.com should be resolved to the same IP of Webcon BPS server.

Is this even possible or do we get problems with this scenario?

Thanks a lot in advance & best regards, Nik

MVP

Hi Nik,

i don't know the internal workings and it may work while browsing the portal, but you will surely get problems when you create URLs for example in mails. You would have to make manual adjustments here so that the recipient will be pointed to the correct URL. I wouldn't walk down this road if there's no serious reason.
Than again the user could switch to another application using the portal navigation or search. So i don't really see a benefit here.

Perhaps you could use SharePoint Webparts to show the applications or create a 'dashboard' with tiles pointing to the applications. Of course, this will not solve the links in mail issue but may help your users.

Best regards,
Daniel

MVP

Hi,
As Daniel said, it could get tricky, depends on what you want to achieve.
But if the question is only about simply pointing "app1/" directly to your webcon application at "url/db/app/x", then maybe rewrite/redirection url rule will work for you.

In my case, I am using rewrite rule temporary for migration purposes, so it is redirecting "https://bps/<request>" to "https://sps/WEBCONBPS/<request>" (my example in attachment).
You can configure Rewrite rule in IIS, firstly installing that feature with Web Platform installer. Also you have to set correct bindings in IIS site, which your DNS should resolve as your server address.

WEBCON

The WEBCON BPS Portal can use one URL address only. It is an official WEBCON statement.

Technically you can use any rewrite methods, intelligent reverse proxy servers, smart application firewalls but... it is not officially supported.

As Daniel and Sebastian wrote, publishing one virtual WEBCON BPS application with a URL different from the WEBCON BPS Portal URL may cause some (non-critical) errors with emails, reports, Designer Studio, services, and others.