Home > Forum > General > How to modify sub-workflow fields

How to modify sub-workflow fields

Hi Everyone,

I want to change some field values on a sub-workflow but from a main workflow level.

Example:
I have a main workflow with 3 sub-workflows. When some user choose a path on the main workflow I want to modify some fields in the sub-workflows.
Is there any action to achieve it?

In reply to: Daniel Krüger (Cosmo Consult)

Hi Darek,

the action 'Update related workflow instance' with 'Element selection mode' SQL query should do what you want:
https://community.webcon.com/posts/post/the-update-related-workflow-instance-action/81

Best regards,
Daniel

Hi Daniel,

Yes, I saw this article but I still don't know how to configure the action properly.
I wrote a sql 'select' statment and 'test' button shows that the statment is ok but the workflow form gives me an error: 'Exception of type 'WebCon.WorkFlow.Base.BusinessLogic.ElementManagement.Exceptions.DocumentNotExistsException' was thrown.'

Do you have some example how to configure the action?

MVP
In reply to: Marek

Hi Daniel,

Yes, I saw this article but I still don't know how to configure the action properly.
I wrote a sql 'select' statment and 'test' button shows that the statment is ok but the workflow form gives me an error: 'Exception of type 'WebCon.WorkFlow.Base.BusinessLogic.ElementManagement.Exceptions.DocumentNotExistsException' was thrown.'

Do you have some example how to configure the action?

Hi Darek,

I did some simple test and didn't have any issue. I created a process with a field, instantiated a parent workflow with three sub-workflows and updated the field in each sub-workflow with the action.

I attached an image of the configuration and another one before/after executing the action on the parent workflow.

According to the history a save action is executed on the sub-workflows.

So in general it works fine but there's some issue in your case. As I understand the exception one workflow does not exist/is not accessible.
A few ideas what you can look at:
- I'm not sure whether this is relevant but are all returned sub-workflow ids workflows of the selected process (1)
- Did you tick the check box whether the user's privileges are checked (2), I haven't checked which kind of exception is thrown.
- Is there some action defined on the "Upon instance saving" action?

Best regards,
Daniel