Home > Forum > Actions > Can I send an attachment to a printer via action on a path?

Can I send an attachment to a printer via action on a path?

MVP

One of our customers would like to print the pdf attachment when moving to the next step.
As there is no action to send a document to a printer (apart from print a barcode label), i'm wondering if anybody implemented this.

MVP

We will have to do this for a custommer in the following months and the only way I could think about it was to create an sdk action, but this would require somehow to make the printer avaiable via the internet, as the servers are on cloud, and the printer is on premise.

The actions from my understanding are running as a service on the app server.

Another potential solution would be some sort of form rule that would prompt the user to print. In this situation the user is responsible for choosing the printer, tray and other print settings. If using an action you would have to predefine all of those.

MVP
In reply to: Razvan Ogrezeanu - ENCORSA Romania

We will have to do this for a custommer in the following months and the only way I could think about it was to create an sdk action, but this would require somehow to make the printer avaiable via the internet, as the servers are on cloud, and the printer is on premise.

The actions from my understanding are running as a service on the app server.

Another potential solution would be some sort of form rule that would prompt the user to print. In this situation the user is responsible for choosing the printer, tray and other print settings. If using an action you would have to predefine all of those.

Hi Razvan,

I only no this feature by name but it could help you Razvan if you want to print in the cloud:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/windows/universal-print

Hi Markus,

I've also not done something similar and my only idea is also the one of a custom SDK action.
Option B "Using the RawPrint package" looks promising, but I won't have time to test how it behaves when it's called from a web request.
https://ourcodeworld.com/articles/read/502/how-to-print-a-pdf-from-your-winforms-application-in-c-sharp

Best regards,
Daniel