Home > Forum > General > Import demo applications

Import demo applications

Hello

Please help my with importing demo applications. I get "Check if Import service role is running for current database.

Modules are in safe mode and I don't know how to force run it.

In reply to: Jacek

Please check the Windows event log on server (Applications and Services Logs > WebCon Workflow) and look for event related to service start.
There should be logged reason for entering safe mode. If this is new installation the problem may be related to permissions.

I did it right at the beginning. However, these logs do not tell me enough to move the topic forward. I spent 2 hours searching on my own with no success.
Roles and rights on sql and users looks good. It is a fresh new (express 2021) install with one update to 2022 version.

Here some logs from db / SELECT TOP 50
[SL_Title]
,[SL_Message]
FROM [MANSOFT_BPS_Config].[dbo].[AdminServiceLogs]
order by sl_id desc

SL_Title SL_Message
Start WebCon Workflow Started. Version: 2022.1.1.53
Stop WebCon Workflow Stopped. Version: 2022.1.1.53
Deactivation Deactivating all roles - complete
Deactivation Service -WEBCON- deactivate roles:

LicenceService
WCFService
WCFLicenceService
MasterQueue
Deactivation Deactivating all roles
Service will stop Service will stop
ServiceImport ImportingManager is not activated.

StackTrace:
at WebCon.WorkFlow.Service.Importing.ImportingModule.Enqueue(ImportQueueElement item, String& errorMessage)
at WebCon.WorkFlow.Service.WCFService.WCFService.<CompleteFileAsync>d__49.MoveNext()
at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.AsyncTaskMethodBuilder`1.Start[TStateMachine](TStateMachine& stateMachine)
at WebCon.WorkFlow.Service.WCFService.WCFService.CompleteFileAsync(UploadFinalChunkParams uploadChunkParams, Byte[] fileContent)
at SyncInvokeCompleteFileAsync(Object , Object[] , Object[] )
at System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.TaskMethodInvoker.<InvokeAsync>d__16.MoveNext()
at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.AsyncTaskMethodBuilder`1.Start[TStateMachine](TStateMachine& stateMachine)
at System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.TaskMethodInvoker.InvokeAsync(Object instance, Object[] inputs)
at System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.TaskMethodInvoker.InvokeBegin(Object instance, Object[] inputs, AsyncCallback callback, Object state)
at System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.DispatchOperationRuntime.InvokeBegin(MessageRpc& rpc)
at System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.ImmutableDispatchRuntime.ProcessMessage5(MessageRpc& rpc)
at System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.ImmutableDispatchRuntime.ProcessMessage11(MessageRpc& rpc)
at System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.MessageRpc.Process(Boolean isOperationContextSet)
at System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.ChannelHandler.DispatchAndReleasePump(RequestContext request, Boolean cleanThread, OperationContext currentOperationContext)
at System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.ChannelHandler.HandleRequest(RequestContext request, OperationContext currentOperationContext)
at System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.ChannelHandler.AsyncMessagePump(IAsyncResult result)
at System.Runtime.IOThreadScheduler.ScheduledOverlapped.IOCallback(UInt32 errorCode, UInt32 numBytes, NativeOverlapped* nativeOverlapped)
at System.Runtime.Fx.IOCompletionThunk.UnhandledExceptionFrame(UInt32 error, UInt32 bytesRead, NativeOverlapped* nativeOverlapped)
at System.Threading._IOCompletionCallback.PerformIOCompletionCallback(UInt32 errorCode, UInt32 numBytes, NativeOverlapped* pOVERLAP)
Safe mode Service is in safe mode. Please restart.
Error has occurred, only license service works
Activation Taking database roles for WEBCON!
Activation summary Service -WEBCON- Activate roles

LicenceService
WCFService
WCFLicenceService
MasterQueue
Failed to activate some modules Failed to activate some modules
MassNotifications
No license for fronton
More info in database AdminServiceLogs.
RecurrentActions
No license for fronton
Timeouts
No license for fronton
MobilePushNotifications
No license for fronton
UserSynchronization
No license for fronton
PersonalDataRemoval
No license for fronton
SolrIndexer
No license for fronton
Import
No license for fronton
ElementsRemoval
No license for fronton
WCF service started WCFService started on endpoint http://webcon:8002/WorkFlow/WCFService
License service started License service started on endpoint http://webcon:8002/LicenceService
Environment: 'Production'
Activation Taking service roles for WEBCON!
Heartbeat mechanism activated Heartbeat mechanism started. Activating roles keeper.
Start WebCon Workflow Started. Version: 2022.1.1.53
Stop WebCon Workflow Stopped. Version: 2022.1.1.53
Deactivation Deactivating all roles - complete
Deactivation Service -WEBCON- deactivate roles:

LicenceService
WCFService
WCFLicenceService
MasterQueue
Deactivation Deactivating all roles
Service will stop Service will stop
Restart Restarting service roles completed
Safe mode Service is in safe mode. Please restart.
Error has occurred, only license service works
Activation Taking database roles for WEBCON!

Based on log - "Error has occurred, only license service works" and "No license for fronton"

Start installer and go to Tools for application management > Licence Manager and check status and licence version. After upgrade to 2022 there could be an issue related to licence for specific version.

I don't use Express verion but I suppose that you have login and password for download licence online. There may be needed to add right licence by Webcon to your account.

Based on log - "Error has occurred, only license service works" and "No license for fronton"

Start installer and go to Tools for application management > Licence Manager and check status and licence version. After upgrade to 2022 there could be an issue related to licence for specific version.

I don't use Express verion but I suppose that you have login and password for download licence online. There may be needed to add right licence by Webcon to your account.

I thought about the same yesterday and did it (also now). I even downloaded the license again. Everything was fine, but that did not solve the main problem.

I wonder if the problem may be the installation version?
I wanted to ask about it earlier, because there are at least 3 places from where we can download the webcon:
1 - https://community.webcon.com/posts/post/webcon-bps-2022-downloads/311
2 - https://download.webcon.com/
3 - download area after logging into your account -> https://starter.webcon.com/get-it-for-free/?wppb_cpm_redirect=yes

I don't know which source is the best :)
3 different sources and 3 different versions ... the latest of which is on the forum

Recently I downloaded the standalone version from the 1st link. As you can see, setup recognizes the express license.

For Standard/Enterprise it's best to use source #1.
For Express version it's best to use source #3 - Express installer has some "limitations" that prevents from using functions/configurations that are outside of Express licence scope.

Sorry, but I can't confirm that using installer of Std/Ent version cause problem in this case - i haven't come through scenario like this.

For Standard/Enterprise it's best to use source #1.
For Express version it's best to use source #3 - Express installer has some "limitations" that prevents from using functions/configurations that are outside of Express licence scope.

Sorry, but I can't confirm that using installer of Std/Ent version cause problem in this case - i haven't come through scenario like this.

That's okay.
The difference between the versions from source #3 and #1 is slight, the same publishing branch is negligible (WebconWorkFlow_2022_1_1_41 vs WebconWorkFlow_2022_1_1_53). I think that with such large projects, there are no separate releases for "truncated versions". It is too expensive ($, resources and time) to maintain and has little impact on the $$ business :). In the vast majority of cases, the functionality is just limited by the license key. Of course I can be wrong but this is how it seems to be here.

Maybe someone else will know the cause and the solution to the problem.
Meanwhile, I'm waiting patiently ....

MVP

I didn't mean version numbers between Std/Ent and Express but installer itself. I usually work with Ent edition but during instalation Express (two times) i noticed few less options (for example creating of additional attachement database, maybe something else.. I can't remember).
I agree with You that main components are te same and finally only license limits use of particular modules/functions.

Good luck in finding solution :)

Hi,

I have no idea for this problem, but I just noticed that the application templates are exported using version 2022.1.1.41. I'm not sure that you will be able to import them in your installed version 2022.1.1.53 in the first place. It may work or not, depending on any underlying changes which have been made. Since this is only a little update, you could be lucky. I would probably remove everything though, because of the error and reinstall version 1.41.
- Uninstall WEBCON BPS
- remove the application pool
- remove website
- remove databases.

Regarding express:
Somewhere in the EULA it's stated that you may have a single express environment in your company.
Besides this the limitations I'm aware of are:
- No attachment/archive database
- Only a single content database
- A process can be imported once. If it already exists, you won't be able to import an updated version.

Best regards,
Daniel

In reply to: Daniel Krüger (Cosmo Consult)

Hi,

I have no idea for this problem, but I just noticed that the application templates are exported using version 2022.1.1.41. I'm not sure that you will be able to import them in your installed version 2022.1.1.53 in the first place. It may work or not, depending on any underlying changes which have been made. Since this is only a little update, you could be lucky. I would probably remove everything though, because of the error and reinstall version 1.41.
- Uninstall WEBCON BPS
- remove website
- remove databases.

Regarding express:
Somewhere in the EULA it's stated that you may have a single express environment in your company.
- No attachment/archive database
- Only a single content database
- A process can be imported once. If it already exists, you won't be able to import an updated version.

Best regards,
Daniel

- Uninstall WEBCON BPS
- remove website
- remove databases.

I try to avoid this at all costs. not only because of the time and work put into the configuration of the current environment. It is not difficult to put a new instance from scratch, the trick is to solve the problem in low-key situations. What if such a situation took place in full version on production? Nobody will put the implementation from scratch at the first problems.

regarding the following

Regarding express:
Somewhere in the EULA it's stated that you may have a single express environment in your company. -> I have never read that
- No attachment/archive database -> I knew
- Only a single content database -> I knew
- A process can be imported once. If it already exists, you won't be able to import an updated version. -> I have never read that
Does this mean that I would have to delete the process and thus all data that was created as part of the current operation of the process?
How to work with new versions of the process in the development or testing environment and, when the new version of the process is ready, upload it to the production?

good to know ALL limitations. It changes a lot (unfortunately to the disadvantage)

This changes the form of things and my view on the possibilities of webcon in using the express version for small businesses up to the max. 30 employees or individual departments within one company working on separate instances. I understand that due to the limitations on the import function, the feature instant change does not work?

MVP
In reply to: MANSOFT

- Uninstall WEBCON BPS
- remove website
- remove databases.

I try to avoid this at all costs. not only because of the time and work put into the configuration of the current environment. It is not difficult to put a new instance from scratch, the trick is to solve the problem in low-key situations. What if such a situation took place in full version on production? Nobody will put the implementation from scratch at the first problems.

regarding the following

Regarding express:
Somewhere in the EULA it's stated that you may have a single express environment in your company. -> I have never read that
- No attachment/archive database -> I knew
- Only a single content database -> I knew
- A process can be imported once. If it already exists, you won't be able to import an updated version. -> I have never read that
Does this mean that I would have to delete the process and thus all data that was created as part of the current operation of the process?
How to work with new versions of the process in the development or testing environment and, when the new version of the process is ready, upload it to the production?

good to know ALL limitations. It changes a lot (unfortunately to the disadvantage)

This changes the form of things and my view on the possibilities of webcon in using the express version for small businesses up to the max. 30 employees or individual departments within one company working on separate instances. I understand that due to the limitations on the import function, the feature instant change does not work?

I agree with you, getting down to the root cause would be the best option. But since I didn't have the issue, I can't tell you anything about this. Somehow I got the impression that you just installed the system so I mentioned the uninstall option. Of course, you could keep your content database, and attach this one to a new installation. That's (was) a little tricky though in the past. I haven't done this in quite some time now.

I found this in the EULA number 1.13. page 3:

EXPRESS Edition – Software intended for Productive Use and Non-productive Use, made
available free of charge. The EXPRESS Edition shall be active until the Environment
Database exceeds the size of 10 GB. Unless a separate agreement made between the
Licensee and the Licensor expressly stipulates otherwise, it is prohibited to use the
Software in the DEMO Edition and the EXPRESS Edition simultaneously; it is __prohibited__ for
one Licensee to use __more than one EXPRESS Edition__ simultaneously

The instant change technology has nothing to do with the import. You are 'simply' limited to modify the workflow in the production environment. But this is besides your original question.

@MANSOFT if you have database backups there is no problem do reinstall envirement to previous version or even directly to 2022_1_1_41. You won't loose any data, but there is no way to downgrade database version.

Daniel is right - you cannot import proces from different version, even minor version difference is significant.

"I try to avoid this at all costs. not only because of the time and work put into the configuration of the current environment. It is not difficult to put a new instance from scratch, the trick is to solve the problem in low-key situations. What if such a situation took place in full version on production? Nobody will put the implementation from scratch at the first problems."

In such cases, a backup is a must, also preceding test upgrade in dev/test enviroment.

I agree with you, getting down to the root cause would be the best option. But since I didn't have the issue, I can't tell you anything about this. Somehow I got the impression that you just installed the system so I mentioned the uninstall option. Of course, you could keep your content database, and attach this one to a new installation. That's (was) a little tricky though in the past. I haven't done this in quite some time now.

I found this in the EULA number 1.13. page 3:

EXPRESS Edition – Software intended for Productive Use and Non-productive Use, made
available free of charge. The EXPRESS Edition shall be active until the Environment
Database exceeds the size of 10 GB. Unless a separate agreement made between the
Licensee and the Licensor expressly stipulates otherwise, it is prohibited to use the
Software in the DEMO Edition and the EXPRESS Edition simultaneously; it is __prohibited__ for
one Licensee to use __more than one EXPRESS Edition__ simultaneously

The instant change technology has nothing to do with the import. You are 'simply' limited to modify the workflow in the production environment. But this is besides your original question.

"somehow I got the impression that you just installed the system so I mentioned the uninstall option."

you are right :)

regarding the EXPRESS Edition issue, I did a thorough research at the source:] while debugging the problem on the code layer*

I discovered many interesting conditions, for example I was always convinced that the express version of the webcon depends on the database engine and not only on the size of the database. despite the fact that it is the same, the program validates the size of the database, not the engine used.
It is even more interesting with the licensing of partners* whose tokens are sewn in the application itself: /

Unfortunately, many hours of research did not allow me to find the cause of the error, so I have to restore ..... but what I read from this adventure by the code ... it's mine :]

Actual present restrictions and validations:
TooManyArchiveDataBases
TooManyAttachmentsDatabases
TooManyContentDatabasesMessage
SizeExceedLimit
SizeExceedExtendedLimit
BadEnvironmentType

" You are 'simply' limited to modify the workflow in the production environment"
yeap..... but how to update production having a version of the target application for the external client that needs to be uploaded.
Importing cannot be done ... you would have to repeat the production changes step by step in order to update :(

MVP

"It is possible to use "Enterprise" installer but you have to skip Attachment database creation step during the installation."

Yeap, I thought so too, and so did.
thx.

I used an answer with a short citation, but I'm referring to the previous post.

"but how to update production having a version of the target application for the external client"
Ok, so you have clients which are using express and you do the development for them on your environment. Luckily I haven't been in this situation but I need to note down this risk so this would be explicitly state in any official documents between us and the client.

Thanks for the reminder. :)

MVP

OK, be my guest. :]
But you did not answer the essence of the question :/?
Is there any workaround or not for this specific case?

Unfortunately I don't have one which could really work. Only one idea which may work, but only with simple workflows. Even if I had one which could work, I would not disclose this. This would be similar to assisting in a robbery in my point of view. The feature has been explicitly implemented to prevent this.

I tried ones to "compare" the exported application package from two environment so that I may be able to identify all changes. I have given up on this because the XML structure may chang drastically between versions. Which makes an comparison not feasible.

Best regards,
Daniel

Unfortunately I don't have one which could really work. Only one idea which may work, but only with simple workflows. Even if I had one which could work, I would not disclose this. This would be similar to assisting in a robbery in my point of view. The feature has been explicitly implemented to prevent this.

I tried ones to "compare" the exported application package from two environment so that I may be able to identify all changes. I have given up on this because the XML structure may chang drastically between versions. Which makes an comparison not feasible.

Best regards,
Daniel

Sure, got it.

I thought it didn't matter much, especially when it was in the Ent. versions there are separate environments (test, dev) and somehow the import is magically possible with an option to overwrite it, and it is not limited to the 1st attempt only.
anyway....
I give up. I did a new clean install * .41. I detached the old databases. Installation went through without a problem. The system works, but it is still in safe mode and you cannot import demo applications.
What am I doing wrong?? Where is the problem?