Home > Forum > Actions > Add List item onto parent Workflow list

Add List item onto parent Workflow list

I have a structure where a meeting (parent workflow) has many Agenda Points (Subworkflows). On each Agenda point, I have (inter alia) two fields that I would like to include in Meeting Minutes (an item list on Meeting), where each line item corresponds to one Agenda Point.

When I finish an agenda point I would like to create a line item in the items list (meeting minutes).

SELECT '{1805}' AS {DCNCOL:253}
, '{1891}' AS {DCNCOL:254}
, '1' AS {DETCOL:1910}
FROM WFElements
WHERE WFD_ID = {WFD_WFDID}

(Please see picture for column names).

Instead of adding a line item to Parent WF, the action adds a Line item to SubWF. Obviously, I am missing something, but I can not figure out what.

MVP

Hi Aleš,

there's only one thing that you are missing and that is that the action is not intended to update an item list on a different workflow. :)
Your question got me thinking if it would be possible to update existing rows in an other workflow though. I'm not sure about this.

Nevertheless, to update the item list in the parent workflow you need to execute the action there or to create a SDK Custom Action.

I would do the following, I'm assuming that you prepare the meeting in advance, so that you add the agenda points to an item list and create from these the sub workflows. Why don't you just add data row columns to the existing item list and show the required data with these.

If you really need the data in another item list, wouldn't a data table on the parent workflow be sufficient? You could filter the sub workflows so that only the finished ones are displayed.

You can also use the data table in word documents.

Best regards,
Daniel

In reply to: Daniel Krüger (Cosmo Consult)

Hi Aleš,

there's only one thing that you are missing and that is that the action is not intended to update an item list on a different workflow. :)
Your question got me thinking if it would be possible to update existing rows in an other workflow though. I'm not sure about this.

Nevertheless, to update the item list in the parent workflow you need to execute the action there or to create a SDK Custom Action.

I would do the following, I'm assuming that you prepare the meeting in advance, so that you add the agenda points to an item list and create from these the sub workflows. Why don't you just add data row columns to the existing item list and show the required data with these.

If you really need the data in another item list, wouldn't a data table on the parent workflow be sufficient? You could filter the sub workflows so that only the finished ones are displayed.

You can also use the data table in word documents.

Best regards,
Daniel

Hi, Daniel,
This is actually very much helpful ?, so at least I won't be hitting a wall.

A few years ago, I used a bit different approach – I copied values into corresponding fields on a meeting (not item list fields) and created list items from those fields in the parent workflow (so inside the WF). AS usually in a meeting, you are finish point one by one, I was always overwriting those fields and creating list items. I think that back then, the problem was in formating (minutes are usually formatted (bullets, etc), so data table does not look nice in Word or HTML report.

I just wanted to know whether it is possible to skip this step.

I will try to with your proposal by running the action o parent workflow o just use the approach form a few years ago.

Thank you for the clarification.

Best regards

Aleš

In reply to: Sebastian Gębuś

Hi,
I dont know if I am not missing anything, but I think you can use 'Move workflow' action in that subworkflows, which will execute some hidden technical path in parent element.
Now, on that technical path in parent element, you can use 'Change items list values' action, and fill the list with values from subworkflows :)

As Sebastian said - this should be done by moving workflow with technical hidden from user path. This path should finish/cancel user's tasks and reassign them. The problem may be that the parent element may come from different processes or be in different steps and we don't always know what path identifier should be returned. In the following post I present a solution in which it determines which identifier to return using the path name:
https://alterpaths.com/massive-update-of-sub-workflows-in-webcon-bps/