Home > Forum > General > Attachment Description

Attachment Description

Hi, is there a way to make the description required in case a specific category is picked for that document?

Pretty much what I'm saying is that if an user is trying to add an attachment and they choose OTHER for its category, to make them complete its description as well.

Thnak youuu.

MVP

Hi,
You can use the modify attachment action and add/change the description itself.
You can modify all attachments from a given category, or use an SQL query to modify, for example, only those from a selected category that do not have a description.
The disadvantage is that you have to predict that after adding the attachment, some action will be performed, e.g. saving/navigating the path.
Or you can also create a mechanism that will periodically check which attachments from a given category do not have a description and supplement them.

Regards

In reply to: Karol Częczek

Hi,
You can use the modify attachment action and add/change the description itself.
You can modify all attachments from a given category, or use an SQL query to modify, for example, only those from a selected category that do not have a description.
The disadvantage is that you have to predict that after adding the attachment, some action will be performed, e.g. saving/navigating the path.
Or you can also create a mechanism that will periodically check which attachments from a given category do not have a description and supplement them.

Regards

Hi,

I have already looked at what I can do with that Update attachment action... but I don't think is much helpful for me, because that description I'm adding there automatically will be the same for all documents in this category, right?

I'll try to explain in more details what I want to do maybe what you already told me is helpful and I don't see it yet or maybe you have some other solution :))... The user will have the possibility to choose from different categories, let's say: APPLE, ORANGE, BANANA and OTHER. I don't need all OTHER to be for example... WATERMELON. I need one document to be watermelon, one to be grapes... and so on, depending really on what the user decides to be there and depending also on the number of documents they need to add. Maybe 10 or maybe none OTHER. That's why I was thinking to make it required so that the user will have to type there their own description... or something similar.

Thank you

Hi Joanna,

you could create a form validation rule containing an SQL Query that checks if any description in WFDataAttachmets (!) in the Content DB returns empty or NULL in Field ATT_description for the specific workflow.

This should work:

if exists
(select 1 from WFDataAttachmets where ATT_Description = '' and ATT_WFDID = {Workflow Instance ID})
Select 0
ELSE
Select 1
ENDIF

Then build an IF/ELSE Rule around it and if this returns 0 throw an Alert to let the user know that she/he should enter document descriptions.

There is another, and I think better approach:

You could create an item list with 2 colums, one containing a field for the description (even multilanguage dropdowns work!) , the other column being attachment column. See configuration Screenshot...

Then in the Attachment column set the configuration as in the screenshot. With the Select you select the line value for description as Attachment description. Then set the document description field to required in the field matrix and you should be done.

Cheers
Chris