Home > Forum > General > Disappearing functionalities when cloning processes

Disappearing functionalities when cloning processes

Hello everyone

I have to correct my post, it's about a problem with process cloning, sorry.

I have a general question - have you ever encountered a situation in which after moving processes between environments,
certain functionalities disappeared? I'm talking about moving the process from prod->test and then test->prod.
Is it even possible for this to cut out recently added functionality?

MVP

Hi Michał,
If test = prod, than no functionalities should be lost, although if there are differences, then this might happen.

Some examples (I'm assuming here full export import - all processes, presentation etc. in application):

2023-11-01 - we make our first deploy TEST -> PROD
2023-11-07 - there is a bug, which is fixed on PROD only
2023-11-08 - we move PROD -> TEST, and TEST -> PROD
No functionalities should be lost.

2023-11-05 - we started creating new functionalities on TEST
Functionalities/changes introduced on 2023-11-05 will be lost.

Basically any quick/hot fixes, should be done manually on each environment, or if it's possible - do them with import/export, but in most cases you can't because there is already some new unfinished feature on DEV/TEST and you want to apply only that one specific hotfix, and not those unfinished features.

Beneath import/export mechanism there are GUID's - each item you configure inside Designer Studio gets GUID - that's like ID, but it's equal on all environments.
What import does is that it drops (or marks as deleted) all the configurations which GUID's are not in the app package, updates those, which changed, and appends new ones.

Above is based on my experience, I can't guarantee that's exact implementation though - if anyone have different experiences, I'll be glad to update my knowledge :)

In reply to: Maksymilian Stachowiak

Hi Michał,
If test = prod, than no functionalities should be lost, although if there are differences, then this might happen.

Some examples (I'm assuming here full export import - all processes, presentation etc. in application):

No functionalities should be lost.

2023-11-05 - we started creating new functionalities on TEST
Functionalities/changes introduced on 2023-11-05 will be lost.

Basically any quick/hot fixes, should be done manually on each environment, or if it's possible - do them with import/export, but in most cases you can't because there is already some new unfinished feature on DEV/TEST and you want to apply only that one specific hotfix, and not those unfinished features.

Beneath import/export mechanism there are GUID's - each item you configure inside Designer Studio gets GUID - that's like ID, but it's equal on all environments.
What import does is that it drops (or marks as deleted) all the configurations which GUID's are not in the app package, updates those, which changed, and appends new ones.

Above is based on my experience, I can't guarantee that's exact implementation though - if anyone have different experiences, I'll be glad to update my knowledge :)

I fully understand what you wrote and agree 100%. My question stems from the fact that something like this happened to people from an external
company in my environment and now I don't know if they are lying to me that it's not their fault or if the problem actually occurred during import.
Personally, something like this hasn't happened to me for several years.